10.10.2013

narrow & full.

I listened to a podcast this morning that talked about these days of mothering, especially small kids, being narrow -- there are constraints because we are raising children that may not be present in other seasons of life -- but not unimportant. Just because we have constraints does not mean our days aren't impacting, fruitful, or unimportant. Such good reminders for me. 


The other night I went to hear Sally Clarkson speak. Have you read her books or blog? (If not, I highly recommend reading her blog and her book Misson of Motherhood) She is a seasoned mama. She has trudged her way through mothering, growing and raising successful, joyful children. When she speaks, it's like something is ignited in me to refocus, see the big picture, and love my kids well. She speaks at a local church once a month to a group of hungry-to-grow mamas and it's powerful to be there. One thing I especially love is being with women who desire to be excellent mothers, and are doing something about it. It encourages me to press on and keep finding ways to grow because of the fruit I see in their homes and children and marriages. 

The words that most impacted me from hearing Sally speak was the picture she gave of God pouring into me and me pouring into my child. It's such a good picture, but what really struck me was that if I am not in line with God -- not spending time with Him, growing, praying, walking in peace and joy -- I am still pouring something into my children, but it is not of God. They receive something from me, but what are they receiving? It's been a good thing for me to ponder the past couple of days and think on where my time is spent. 


After spending a bit of time with two dear friends yesterday afternoon, I was reminded that the most important place I put my time and effort is into my relationship with God. If I stray there, every other facet of my life is impacted. If I am faithful there, every other facet of my life is impacted. And it doesn't need to be an hour long, luxurious, completely silent chunk of time, but I am pouring out what I am putting in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment