12.05.2013

large things.

Oh my soul, knock hard this morning and ask large things of thy generous Lord. 
- Charles Spurgeon

My mornings have been powerful this week. I've gotten up early and had time to myself and both littles have slept in a bit. This morning I came downstairs to a fire going and coffee made. As I sit by the fire, this quote from Spurgeon repeated in my mind. What large things am I asking? Or am I just reading, taking in, journaling, but not really asking?

Sometimes I pray less because the things I have before me seem too big. Sometimes I pray less because I know the answer in the end may disappoint me in the moment or may not turn out how I want. So I ask less. 


But in those seasons when I am asking less, especially for other people, there is a disconnect. For me, praying for others grows my love for them and gives me eyes to see their situations with grace and hope. 

And so this morning, I made a list of LARGE THINGS. Well, they seem large to me. We have so much in the works right now in our little life, but we are waiting and on hold until there is some movement. I prayed for movement. I prayed for wisdom in parenting a girl with big emotions (ones that look so much like how I often feel). I prayed for friends who are hoping for a miracle. And while our day will likely be spent in our little home (the high today is 10 degrees, so I doubt we'll be venturing out), I can keep asking. I am reminded that prayer isn't what we do when the work is done or when we can't think of anything else to do -- prayer is the work. It paves the way. 

As I fold laundry, wipe faces, make meals, sweep floors, and eat pretend food today, I want to be asking the large things (along with the small) -- because He is generous. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Thinking I might just make a list of Large Things... I need to do that. Thought so many lines in this were so good, but the last is the best reminder: "because He is generous." :)

    ReplyDelete