12.02.2013

Welcoming December.

November seemed to blur by, and as we settle back home from our time visiting family, I am determined that this month will be slow, intentional, quiet, and calm. I love the idea of doing activities at Christmas, but truly, I want us to just be together. I had a plan for an Advent activity every day. I decided on our long trek home in the car yesterday that I should scrap that for this year. My kids are little. The plans are for me. I'd rather stay open to engaging and investing in them, rather than feeling pressured to do this or that because it's December. I don't want to set into the "but they/we will miss out!!" mentality. 

"Come thou long expected Jesus, 
Born to set thy people free;  
From our fears and sins release us; 
Let us find our rest in Thee" 

I'm feeling Advent deeply this year. I've thought a lot lately about what traditions were meaningful for me around this season as a child and what I want to cultivate and grow as traditions for our family now. The sense of waiting and emptiness is heavy this year for me. Not because we are experiencing loss or mourning, but I am grasping it in a new way. And then there is something powerful to recall that last year Mack was this tiny thing growing inside me and now he is full of life on the outside. The waiting for him was fulfilled and he is with us. I felt the same way the year before when Evie was with us and not just a tiny blob of cells growing furiously on the inside. Both of my children, in very different ways, are the picture of a dream come true. The tangible of them being here and with us is such a picture to me of God hearing my prayers and giving beyond what we could ask or expect. 

What a thought -- these tiny sparks of life grow and become full. That's sort of the sentiment of Advent, isn't it? A tiny spark of hope, and then Jesus comes to bring fullness. 

I'm setting intentions again this month. Last month was not a success, but I love the idea of beginning again each month and returning to these intentions with purpose. 

1. Yoga, walk, or work out every day. (I was actually fairly successful on this in November, minus our days of travel)
2. Begin end of the year goal setting (I usually wait until December 31. This year I want to ponder and really begin afresh with the new year.)
3. Drink 5 glasses (of the glasses I drink out of) water daily 
4. Phase out coffee 
5. Go slowly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment